I had an interesting morning. I use the word interesting on purpose, because it wasn't good and it wasn't bad. It was different, but as far as being classified on a pro/con spectrum it is right smack dab in the middle.
Of course, before this morning, I was taking part in yesterday's night--where all this began anyway. I was working on some work stuff at home, I took a nap, I played with my dog and I drank a large sum of Dr. Pepper. I mean I was driving the shit into myself, getting ripped to the tits on caffeine. I didn't do it on purpose of course, that would be stupid. If there were any basis of comparison, say... any southerner who drinks a normal amount of soda or other caffeinated beverages, it wouldn't have seemed like much. So I digress.
The point is, it was enough to throw me for a loop and leave me feeling a little jittery. It led me down the dark and winding road of questionable decisions that is nighttime. At 3 a.m. I found myself wide awake and staring at the ceiling, which is something I do on occasion. My brain was racing and I knew for a fact there was no way my eyes would be feeling heavy, atleast not anytime soon.
The prospect of staying awake all night suddenly seemed like a good idea, as it used to so often in college when living was more care-free. The problem looming was not simply a class--that would probably start no earlier than noon-- it was my job. I needed to go, and I needed to be functional.
The decision was made. I would stay awake and IHOP would serve me breakfast.
Times like these do something special to me. These are times in the morning when I shouldn't still be awake, early stages of delirium are approaching and my senses feel eerily tuned in. For some reason, I become extraordinarily functional when in this physical-state. Maybe it's just me, maybe most people can't do this sort of thing. Maybe I have conditioned myself -- over time -- to know that I have a reserve tank, allowing me to run full-bore for a few hours in order to survive whatever it is that I stayed up for in the first place. I know if this kind of thing was more habitual, functionality would not be the case, but 2 or 3 times a year has proven to be within reason. Either way, the extended hours were refreshing.
I got to work at 5:15 a.m., a full 5 hours earlier than normal, and got all of my work done. I left the office at 11 a.m., which is normally just an hour into my shift. I walked outside and the sun hit me right in the face, reminding me that other things still had a schedule to keep. I got to my car and I pulled out of the lot. Cars were going by on the highway, but none of the people in them knew what I had done so far. These people were all in the middle of their own mornings.
So as I sped up to get to the on ramp I looked around, noticing that I felt like I was in a scene from a movie. I could picture the camera going from a first-person view of me on the road, looking out of the windshield, to an overhead cam that elevated out of my sunroof. As I merged into traffic the camera would already be amongst the clouds with the birds, the whole city in view. Soon the state and the country would follow until the Earth was just another round ball of life rolling around on a slippery surface.
Then as I got closer to home I could feel my reserves running out, and I knew I was about to sleep for a good majority of the day.
That is another interesting feeling altogether.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I can picture crashing after a night like that with a box fan turning and a hushed conversation in the next room. Going to sleep like I earned it. Mom and Dad's house style.
Nice one man.
Post a Comment