I just got my car washed for the first time in God knows how long. It’s funny how something as simple as running water and sponges over metal can alter appearances so drastically. In this case, water really did symbolize rebirth.
I like my car. In fact, I like it a lot and I think it is really fun to drive. However, when it is really dirty it seems like more of a nuisance to own. Little mechanical problems seem way more troubling, small blemishes stand out against the otherwise beautiful engineering and the eleven-year-old driving machine truly seems its age.
But after it gets a quick wash the slate seems to get cleaned, for lack of a better term. The small scratches and dings in the paint blend in, the odd rattles and clanks get drowned out by the throaty engine noise, the slower-than-normal start off the line at a red light seems quicker than ever and the interior smells less of sweaty hockey equipment and more of beautiful bare-chested women.
To make a long story short, whenever I wash my car it is almost as if I give it new life. This makes owning a car seem fun again, even if it hurts at the gas pump. I know this will happen any time I wash it, and the task is so simple once I get down to it, but the problem is I simply don’t wash the car enough. I don’t know why this is, but I have a few ideas.
First of all, I could simply just be too lazy to take care of the car that I purchased with designs of it taking care of me. I really don’t think this is the case all of the time, but it could certainly strike me on some occasions.
Maybe I don’t deem the hunk of metal, plastic, leather and rubber appropriate enough for me to spend time and money cleaning dirt off of it, when more dirt will just make its temporary home there as soon as I am done with the water hose and elbow grease. Once again, I don’t think this is the case either. I spent a considerable amount of time searching for the right car when I found this one, and then a considerable amount of money purchasing it. After that I have spent plenty of time, effort and money keeping it going and looking nice throughout the years, with small roadblocks now and then (namely a couple of hit and runs while it was parked.)
No, I think the real reason is that I get caught up in the day and age. There seems to always be too much to do and not enough time. Race here, race there, do this, do that… not enough time to take care of yourself and your things.
Well not anymore.
I have a lot more free time now than I have in God knows how long, and things are going to be taken care of.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment